A Call to Prayer
Twenty seven million people are enslaved globally in various forms of sexual and labour exploitation. The WEA is calling churches around the world to dedicate a day to pray the prayer of Isaiah, chapter 58:16. "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?"Prayer Points
- Prayer for all those oppressed by the curse of human trafficking. Ask God to hear their cry and deliver them. Psalm 10:17-18. "You hear, O lord the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them and listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and oppressed, so that mere earthly mortals will never again strike fear."
- Pray for those living in poverty that the family of God will reach out and minister to them, and that they will access a sustainable income, so they will not accept offers which look helpful but secretly involve trafficking. Matthew 25:40
"whatever you did to the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me"
- Pray for children in families with limited resources. Pray that they will be protected from the lure of traffickers. Psalm 82:3-4: Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
- Pray that as eyes are opened to the implications of cheap labour, cheap goods and commercial sex, that the demand for human trafficking will diminish and dry up. Psalm 35:10: "Who is like you, O LORD? You rescue the poor from those too string for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them."
- Pray that the commercial sex trade in your locality will end;, in order to stop people being lured into sexual exploitation. Leviticus 19:29 "Do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will turn to prostitution, and be filled with wickedness."
- Pray for the perpetrators driven by the desire to to enrich themselves by trading human lives and those who operate and control networks of traffickers. Pray for exposure and an end to their schemes and a conviction that leads them to repentance. Joel 3:3 "They traded boys for prostitute; they sold girls for wine that they might drink."
- Pray for governments whose responsibility it is to make decisions that can either alleviate poverty or increase it. Pray that their decisions will be based on upholding justice and equality, rather than greed and financial gain. 1 Timothy 2:2 "Pray for kings and all those in authority over you that we may live quiet lives in all Godliness and holiness."
Prayer for the WEA Task Force and it's objectives: To develop strategic networks; to promote a biblical foundation for engagement; to mobilise informed resources; to identify, develop and disseminate resources; to listen to stories and to get others to listen.